This week was an interesting one concerning my own issues in a networked society. On Monday I got my new laptop in the mail. I was at the idea carrying it around campus and being able to do hw or browse the internet in new and refreshing environments (instead of just my boring dorm room).
However, as is the case with my desktop, I soon ran into to problems with the software Trend-Micro PC-cillin: it wasn't updated, I tried to updated it and told me to install the program, which was confusing b/c it was the program itself telling me to do this, I put the CD in to install and it asked "are you sure you want to uninstall?"---WHAT!!. So, I did the cardinal sin when it comes to the rules of computer security and downloaded Symantec and started running two anti-virus programs. Well, the next morning when I tried to start my computer, to make a long story short, it wouldn't boot up windows so I had to go to ITS to get my laptop fixed.
Despite all the advantages the laptop has enable me to have, the first couple days I have had it has suddenly placed more responsibilities on my "to-do list"--especially with trying to find time to migrate the files from my desktop to my laptop. On the brightside, however, it has been wonderful being able to browse and do hw in buildings like the Union or taking advantage of the beautiful campus and study by the WW II fountain. I have found, at least this week, that technology does in fact make my life easier and that it allows me to refresh my day by studying in various and diverse surroundings. The problem, however, is that sometimes the convienence can only be achieved by going through a period of stressful decisions and gruntwork, such as figuring out which computer to buy or trying to troubleshoot a problem.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment