Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Freedom of Speech on Internet

After reading the section in A Gift of Fire conerning free speech on the internet I came away with one conclusion: it is a very difficult and complex issue. I quickly learned that applying the First Amendment to the internet is much more complicated compared to other forms of media, such as print and broadcast. Take for example, the topic of protecting children from obscene or violent behavior. On page 199, the author discusses the issue of a child not being able to buy an "X-rated" magazine but can easily access "pornography without an adult observer". So, the question becomes, how do we transfer the same principles from "real" life to the web? Later in the book, the author writes about the attempts that have been made to complete this transition but explains the complicated problems and issues that have come about as a result.

How can a library filter violent and obscene material in order to protect children while at the same time not treating every adult as a child? How can we make the filters more accurate, so that they don't consider the Yale Biology Homepage as obscene? What about in academia, where online journals will be filtered out because they have the words "sex" or "pornography"?
And all this are just issues concerning child protection from violence and pornography!!!

As I read about all the different issues that came about concerning free speech on the internet, I have come to the conclusion that there will never be a total agreement within the different factions and groups of not just American society, but since the web is undoubetly a global community, within global society. I never knew about the problems that arise within this difficult and serious issue, and I will be very interested to see what legislation or lack thereof will arise in the upcoming years.

No comments: